Wade A. Slack

AFGHANISTAN -- Specialist Wade A. Slack, 21, of Waterville, Maine, died from combat wounds inflicted by enemy mortar fire on Thursday, May 6, 2010.

He was born March 22, 1989, the son of Dr. Alan Slack and Mary Slack, and was brought up in Waterville. Educated in Waterville schools, he graduated from Waterville High School, Class of 2007. As a youngster, Wade was very involved in Boy Scouts and played little league in Waterville. He enjoyed doing all things outdoors; he especially loved hunting. He was an avid video-gamer and collector of movies on DVD.

Specialist Slack was, and still is, a great power of example for all humanity. He was a totally unselfish, compassionate, and giving person to everyone he came into contact with, directly and indirectly.

Specialist Slack died serving his country and his fellow soldiers. He is a true hero. All gave some and some gave all; Wade A. Slack gave all on May 6, 2010. And for this, he leaves behind a grateful nation.

Specialist Slack is survived by a grieving mother, Mary Slack, whom he loved dearly; his father Dr. Alan Slack and stepmother Rose Slack; six brothers and sisters, Jonathan, Meghan, Lauren, Allison, Andrew, and Jesse and his wife, Mackenzie; a niece, Riley, who was the apple of Wade's eye; stepsister Jessica Cook; and stepbrother Ethan Roderick. He is also survived by his special friends and "west coast parents" Dan and Mary Morse of Shelton, Wash., and many other relatives and friends. Wade will be sadly missed by all who knew him, especially fellow combat soldier Sgt. James Cribbett who was with Wade for his last journey home.

Visiting hours will be held from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday, May 15, at Veilleux Funeral Home, 8 Elm St., Waterville, ME 04901. A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 16, at Blessed Hope Advent Church, Pleasant Street, Waterville. A private committal service with full military honors will be held with Wade's family at a later date.

Wade and some of his family members have been visitor
to Chebeague Island, staying at Camp Providence for weekends over the
last 10 - 12 years. He enjoyed combing Littlefield Beach for glass and
shells and loved going to Rose's Point and sitting on the rocks. He and
his family members would make "sculptures" on the beach and have
bonfires all out in front of Camp Providence.