Thomas Adams Rothschild


Thomas Adams Rothschild

Of Newton died at home with his family on Friday, January 19, 2007, at the age of 64. Tom was born in New York City, March 13 1942. Son of Ann Hatfield and V. Henry Rothschild II, he came to Boston in his early twenties.

Newton was his primary address; however, his spiritual home was Chebeague Island, Maine where he spent every spring through fall, since his childhood. He was most at home sailing in his beloved Lyra around Casco Bay with family and friends.

He was a loving father who revered and delighted in his children. He leaves his son Luke Adams Rothschild and daughter-in-law Holly of Venice, CA; and Luke's mother Faxon Green of Cambridge; his sons Adam Rothschild of San Francisco and Sam Rothschild of Allston; and their mother Peggy Rothschild of Newton. He also leaves brother Henry of Santa Fe. He is and will be dearly missed.

There will be a celebration of Tom's life at the First Unitarian Society of Newton, 1326 Washington St., West Newton at 2:00pm on Saturday, January 27, 2007.

Donations may be made to Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Attn: Contribution Services, 10 Brookline Place West, 6th floor, Brookline, MA 02445; or Boston Chamber Music Society, 60 Gore Street, Cambridge, MA 02141.

Published in the Boston Globe on 1/21/2007.

Tom died Friday, January 19 at 10:30, surrounded by his sons Luke, Adam, and Sam; Luke's wife Holly, and Adam's girlfriend Sally and Sam's girlfriend Heather; his brother Henny; and his ex-wives and mothers of his sons, Faxon and Peggy.
There will be a memorial service on Saturday afternoon, January 27 at 2:00 at the First Unitarian Society of Newton (FUSN) on Washington Street in West Newton, MA.  Another service will be planned for sometime in late spring or summer on Tom's beloved Chebeague Island.
All of us will miss him terribly.


A note from Peggy:

Hello friends and family far and near.

This 18th day of January 2007 brings the nearness of death for Tom. He, as some of you know, was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer last February. Tom lived a full life through late summer into early fall, until his cancer began to grow again and his vital organs began to fail.

Tom has struggled valiantly to stay strong, but soon after Thanksgiving he began to lose his appetite and by December 15 was so weak and dehydrated that Faxon and I (wives 2 and 3) brought him to the hospital emergency room at Brigham and Women's Hospital, the in-patient facility for The Dana Farber Cancer Hospital where he had received chemo therapy every three weeks from early April through the end of August.

Tom was admitted to Brigham and Women's where he stayed until December 28. At that time, he was discharged and moved here to 44 Clinton Place where he had lived with his family until moving to his own apartment in 2001. His intention was to regain his strength enough to go back to his Allerton Road apartment and to begin more chemo at some point in the foreseeable future.

That point was never reached. He regained some energy but did not resume eating and the cancer was spreading in his liver, his spinal bone, his pancreas, and into his brain.

Now he lies surrounded by his sons, their wife/girlfriends, Faxon and me, and his brother Henry who has come to stay with us during this time from his Santa Fe home. Henny (his brother's nickname) is also a retired lawyer, now an RN and a hospice nurse. He has been invaluable as Tom, on his oncologist's recommendation at his last visit on January 9, entered into local hospice care and needs close monitoring to keep his pain in check.

Now Tom lies in a hospital bed that we placed in the living room/dining room space adjacent to the kitchen so he could always be where the action is, something he loved to be part of during his healthy times. We have played the guitar, sung songs, cried, held Tom's hands, massaged his body, stroked his temples, administered pain and other medication, and been by his side constantly as he breathes more and more slowly and his pulse becomes more irregular and his gaze has become distant and unfocused.

We have been told that the sense of hearing is the last to go so we play the music and talk to him and to each other, hoping he is listening when he wants to and that he knows how much we love him and each other and that we will be alright when he dies, even as we will miss him terribly, here and on his beloved Chebeague Island and everywhere else.

Tom's many friends have visited over the months, written to him, called him, and felt their own sense of parting. He was loved by so many and enjoyed the company of so many in his various homes over the years, in his Chebeague home, and of course on his sailboat which he loved to sail in the waters of Casco Bay.

He was at peace on his boat, the Lyra, an Ensign he purchased many years ago from an island friend.

His sons will keep the Chebeague home alive and will make it theirs as time passes.

This is not an easy transition for his children, for others who loved him, and, as he struggles now to let go of this life, for Tom himself.

There is a mystery here that is beyond words and beyond prediction and beyond understanding. There is also love, profound and encompassing, and there is grief beyond measure as a beloved father, a dear friend, and a compelling presence in the world for those who knew him leaves us too soon.


Tom's family will be creating a webpage celebrating Tom, where they will share the stories and photos they receive: Please check his blog,, for notifications about when this has been set up.

You may sen things email to or sanil mailt to: Peggy Rothschild, 44 Clinton Pl., Newton Center, MA 02459-1141