MSAD51 Proposal to restructure the island school
3:00 p.m. February 20, 2005
I. Purpose of the meeting
II. Background of the proposal
- October 2004 School Board meeting on Chebeague - indicates
island school could be closed if proposed tax cap bill (Question
1) is passed.
- February 18th - An internal memo from the Principal of Mabel
I Wilson School (Susie Robbins) to her staff informing them of
restructuring to address concerns of the mainland community over
the current split in 3rd graders between NYMS & MIW schools.
The memo also mentions that the Chebeague Island School will
be restructdured from a two classroom school (K-2, 3-5) to a
one room school of K-3. The 4th and 5th graedes from Chebeague
will move to NYMS on the mainland.
- According to Peter Bingham (Polly Frawley) and she indicated
that restructuring proposal must go through the upcoming budget
process before being finalized.
- Parents Advisory Committee
- Discussions at February 15th Parents Advisory meeting
IV. Potential Impacts on kids and community
- Island Institute - Impact of the loss of island schools to
island communities, status of rural schools in Maine. Guests
from the Island Institute: Ruth Kermish-Allen, Rob Synder, and
- Issues affecting the survival of the island school.
- Suggestion of an immediate response - contact school board
with a petition to requests Board meeting on the island to address
the impact, process and communication relative to the current
VI. Open Discussion